Syllable matching is such a useful feature, that we recommend enabling it, unless the above condition is true. If you think performance is affected, the symptoms of too large an index are:
• Disk thrashing while building or rebuilding a large project, while little progress is being made.
• Opening or closing a project takes a long time.
• Synchronizing individual files is slow.
• Browse Project Symbols (F7) is slow to come up, accompanied by a lot of disk activity. Some delay is normal the first time you use it.
• Your project has over 2 or 3 million index entries. Obviously, this limit depends on the amount of RAM you have.
• Your hard drive light never seems to go off, or your system pauses for a long time while the disk is flushed.
If you experience slow-downs and you have a large project, (say over 200,000 symbols,) you should try turning off Quick browsing for symbol syllables. You can find out how large the database is by selecting Project > Rebuild Project and looking at the statistics on the bottom of the dialog box. Just cancel this dialog box when you are done. If the index entries are in the millions, then things can start to slow down. However, a Pentium III class machine with 256 MB of RAM should handle this size project well.
Adding more memory to your machine will improve performance.